Thursday 10 July 2014

Growing Your Own Windowsill Garden

I have decided to start a windowsill garden after being inspired by one of the LEON cookbooks (Leon: Naturally Fast Food) so this blog post is all about why you should too and how to go about it in a stylish but savvy way.

Reasons why this is a great idea:

  1. It's cheaper and tastier than buying dried herbs - I just bought a mint plant which cost me eighty pence. Far cheaper than a pot of dried mint, and perfect for the summer. I use it to make lemon and mint salad dressing, to freshen up a glass of Pimms or to garnish salads and it is far more effective than the dried variety that lives in the back of you cupboard.
  2. It looks pretty - I live in an apartment in the centre of a town so there's not much greenery about. Having some nice potted plants helps to cheer the place up and creates a lovely scent.
  3. It's a great way to start a new hobby - When I was a child, I used to love growing things in my parents garden but as I got older, busy schedules have gotten in the way and it's easy to forget how much I enjoyed the simple pleasure of helping things grow. It gives you a real sense of achievement! Some examples of low maintenance plants include Rosemary, Mint and Sage. These are great plants to start with if, like me, you're a little rusty or new to plant care.
  4. You can be creative - I love searching Pinterest for ideas on how to personalise things around the home. I went to a store that renovates old vintage items and bought a little pot for £3.00 to replant my mint into. Originally, I wanted to write straight onto the metal finish but I tested it underneath and it didn't work very well (always test an idea somewhere unnoticeable before you carry it out) so I decided to make a little sign instead.
          To make this, I used:
    • A small amount of thread and a needle
    • A piece of card (I used the price tag off a shirt)
    • A sheet of paper
    • Some pens
    • Sellotape
    • A cocktail stick
    • Soil
         So here is how you do it:
    1. You need to source a new pot for your plant because those ones the come in won't provide much space for it to grow. Great places to look for something a bit different is a farmer's market or a shop that renovates vintage items or, if you're lucky, a charity shop will have just what you're looking for. I got this pot from an antique revival store for just £3.00:

      Tip: Drainage is important for your plant. If the pot you choose doesn't have a
      hole in the bottom, add some gravel to the base before you add soil.

    2. Cut the piece of card to your desired shape. Mine was already in a sort of "gift tag" shape, so I just cropped it to make it a little smaller. Once you have done this, use the card as a stencil to cut out two pieces of identically sized paper.
    3. Design your label on one of the pieces of paper. It might be worth browsing the internet (Tip:again, Pinterest is a great place to look) for some TYPOGRAPHY examples if you want a quirky font. I drew my font in a big bold marker to make it stand out and then I hand-sewed some read thread around the edge of the paper only.
    4. Punch a hole in one of the edges of the card and paper to feed through a piece of ribbon (Tip: I keep all the ribbon off of Christmas and birthday gifts and put it away for these sorts of projects). I chose to tie mine in a simple knot but a bow can look nice too. The ribbon will then hold the paper and card together.
    5. Attach a cocktail stick to the back of the card to use as a stand for the sign. I chose to spray-paint my cocktail stick first as I had some lying around, but it looks good without.
      If you're rubbish at sewing, like me, it doesn't matter!
      It just gives it a shabby chic effect.
    6. Laminate the sign in sellotape. This will protect it from sunlight and from getting wet when you water the plant.
    7. Take the plant out of its original pot and place it into your new pot. Remember: If your pot doesn't have drainage you must add gravel first. Then fill the remaining space with fresh soil, give the plant a good drink and watch it grow in your new chic windowsill garden! 
         
Ready to be re-potted!



Total Cost: £3.80


      

 

No comments:

Post a Comment